Personally some of the songs I would’ve mentioned did not make the list.
What we have seen over the last decade and particularly over the past 7-8 years, is a surge in the amount of Nigerian content on the internet and consequently on the biggest video platform out there, YouTube.
A few surprises that jump to mind are
1. The absence of DBanj’s Oliver Twist. Arguably the one song that took Nigerian music global.
2. Little female representation. Of the 20 songs listed, just 4 are by female artists, and 1 by a mainstream artist in Yemi Alade.
3. No rappers present. The likes of M.I, Phyno, Olamide etc are all missing from the list. I guess rap still don’t sell like we’d like to think.
I guess something worth noting is the fact that a sizable number of songs on the list are from the later part of the decade as opposed to the earlier. Which makes sense considering the period in which Nigerian music took off globally.
Here’s the list released by YouTube of the biggest songs of the past decade listed by views:
View full list below
- Fall by Davido (153 million views)
- Way Maker by Sinach (136 million views)
- Pana by Tekno (116 million views)
- Johnny by Yemi Alade (111 million views)
- Mad Over You by Runtown (98 million views)
- If by Davido (97 million views)
- Personally by P-Square (95 million views)
- Do Like That by Korede Bello (89 million views)
- Come Closer by Wizkid (86 million views)
- On The Low by Burna Boy (85 million views)
- Kontrol by Maleek Berry (76 million views):
- Collabo by P-Square (75.5 million views)
- Bank Alert by P-Square (75.3 million views)
- FIA by Davido (71 million views)
- Shekini by P-Square (70 million views)
- Duro by Tekno (68.7 million views)
- Soco by Wizkid (62 million views)
- I Know Who I Am by Sinach (68.5 million views)
- Aye by Davido (58 million views)
- Only You Jesus by Ada (56 million views)
Guess you are surprise right?
Be the first to comment